Welcome to Almost An Island

Almost an Island is a writing project exploring the Greenwich Peninsula in London through words, sounds and stories.

Writers in residence, Sarah Butler and Aoife Mannix, will be blogging about the project. They will record their own responses to the Peninsula and the people they meet. The blog will be a showcase for new writing Sarah and Aoife create over the course of the project, and for the writing and words of workshop participants.

Sarah and Aoife will be creating a soundscape that will represent the lives and stories of those connected with the Greenwich Peninsula. They are running a series of workshops and activities to support this - check under 'events' for more details.

The soundscape will be presented at a public event in November 2008. Keep an eye on the blog for details

Almost an Island is a collaboration between UrbanWords and Spread the Word, in association with Art on the Greenwich Peninsula. The project is funded by Awards For All.

Friday 31 October 2008

Ghost of the Dome by Mary Pullen

As the evening draws in and the fading sun begins to set, I watch the crowds emerge like tiny ants, swarming from a cold, underground and soulless place. I do not know from where they have come, but I know well to where they go. With tunes on their lips and light hearts these crowds tread heavy and unthinking over my life.

I am the ghost of the peninsular that was, that sadly is no more. I am the busy communities, rich market gardens, the regular terraced cottages, and harsh docklands. My song is dedicated to the memory of people and places now long gone. For them, I play my tune.

Competing with street sounds, pounding music, loud voices, I am the fierce wind in the night and I play the taught cords of the Dome’s high points as a harp, making joyous sounds, creating sonic harmony as a challenge to any lyrical trend.

From on high, I see people look up, drawn from their reveries by the celestial notes of my symphony. Plucking, bending and vibrating the steel, my chords play the tune of my life and I live again.

No comments: