Welcome to Almost An Island

Almost an Island is a writing project exploring the Greenwich Peninsula in London through words, sounds and stories.

Writers in residence, Sarah Butler and Aoife Mannix, will be blogging about the project. They will record their own responses to the Peninsula and the people they meet. The blog will be a showcase for new writing Sarah and Aoife create over the course of the project, and for the writing and words of workshop participants.

Sarah and Aoife will be creating a soundscape that will represent the lives and stories of those connected with the Greenwich Peninsula. They are running a series of workshops and activities to support this - check under 'events' for more details.

The soundscape will be presented at a public event in November 2008. Keep an eye on the blog for details

Almost an Island is a collaboration between UrbanWords and Spread the Word, in association with Art on the Greenwich Peninsula. The project is funded by Awards For All.

Wednesday 29 October 2008

Shock by Aoife Mannix

Out on the edge of the peninsula
where the ships are sliced thinly,
the pirates dance their goodbyes,
warning of homecomings,
the fickle nature of ghosts.
We search for sunken treasure
at low tide, lucky pennies, glass bottles
with maps inside, a hook for a sail.
The river is the blood of the city,
we are the salmon come full circle.

The sky line a pearl necklace cast into space.
You reel me in with rocket ships,
giant clocks, a bowl turned upside down.
The echo of funerals as if all losses
hold her name. Stumbling in the church,
moments of unbalance. Leaping from
pillar to post, I fall into your arms.
Catch me if you can.

I am all the people I used to be,
a Russian doll splintered open.
I haunt myself with the future,
toy airports, minor turbulence.
I get lost wandering along the highway
with the trucks wearing eye patches.
I’m choking on public hangings,
prison marshes, what lies
at the bottom of the Thames.

Please ignore my wooden limbs,
my parrot phone calls, my default mode.
I know it’s not always easy to read
my Morse code, but I only ever meant
to hold your hand. My fear of drowning
is second only to my fear of silence.
There are still bridges,
connections to the mainland,
our seashell collection, all those promises
that have yet to be found.

No comments: