Welcome to Almost An Island

Almost an Island is a writing project exploring the Greenwich Peninsula in London through words, sounds and stories.

Writers in residence, Sarah Butler and Aoife Mannix, will be blogging about the project. They will record their own responses to the Peninsula and the people they meet. The blog will be a showcase for new writing Sarah and Aoife create over the course of the project, and for the writing and words of workshop participants.

Sarah and Aoife will be creating a soundscape that will represent the lives and stories of those connected with the Greenwich Peninsula. They are running a series of workshops and activities to support this - check under 'events' for more details.

The soundscape will be presented at a public event in November 2008. Keep an eye on the blog for details

Almost an Island is a collaboration between UrbanWords and Spread the Word, in association with Art on the Greenwich Peninsula. The project is funded by Awards For All.

Sunday 19 October 2008

No Man's Land (Sugar 5)

This place didn’t use to exist. Mum’s told me about it: how it was all boarded up, cut off from everywhere else. You used to drive past and not even think there might be something behind the fences, she said. Unless you were the kind of person who looked at maps, or happened to be on the other side of the river, looking across, you’d not know it was there. It was like a blind spot, she told me, you just didn’t see it. Later, when they started getting excited about the idea of that hedgehog of a building, people started noticing.

‘Don’t you remember?’ she asked, ‘That time we climbed under the fence?’ I was five she says, maybe even younger. Dad was still around. My brother wasn’t born yet.

‘The three of us, mud on our shoes, sneaking about like criminals, not that anyone seemed bothered we were there. Don’t you remember, looking at the dome, half made – like a skeleton coming out of the ground?’

I pretend to remember, because I’d like to. I stand on the tarmacked path and look through the blue mesh fence and I try to picture a tiny version of me, one of them on either side, holding my hands so I won’t fall. I try to take the white curve of the O2 away, to vanish the huge cylinders mum says have got something to do with ventilation. I try to see through the tarmac and the paving slabs to wet mud that would curl up around the soles of your shoes.

No comments: